Akwaaba small P-Value



Akwaaba means 'Welcome' in Akan.

Welcome to my new venture. My venture into reading more. Everyone whom I have looked up to and admired academically has always told me to read more and that really is something I struggle with, hence this new venture. I am tired of reading for just essays. I want to understand and analyse what I read and hopefully I can somehow enjoy reading.


Just trying to be an adult really. So, welcome to my new and adult 'blog'. Where I can analyse (more like rant) about what I have read in the week and what I have learnt.


My adulting has somehow led me to a MSc in Biomedical Science (by research) so let's bring on all that good stuff (sorry 'articles') about science. I decided I liked science at school because unlike subjects like history or english, it is based on facts. Or so I thought. My undergraduate degree has thought me that it is all a lie. Science isn't necessarily fact. What is a fact? Scientific facts are facts until proven wrong. Untill a new and better technique or conclusion is reached. P-value! A ridiculously small P-value indicates that the null hypothesis is incompatible with the data collected, however we cannot say with certainty that the null hypothesis is not true, or that the alternative hypothesis must be true. Although realising that the reason I loved science happens to be a lie, I have realised that I loved that about biology. The uncertainty, the greed of finding something new, the excitement of successful experiments... I love it. 



So here is to me reading more and exploring that desire of knowledge. First article should be interesting...


Comments

Popular Posts